Other People Exist

and are not just sense data

My Photo
Name:

Studies show that even when they are not there, other people exist, with thoughts, feelings, and desires just like you

Sunday

An unused piece for OPE zine

Merry Christmas 2010!
Thank you to everyone for the many generous gifts I received. I noticed that some of you used USPS Priority Mail to send your parcels. My gift to you this season is to pass on some important information regarding Priority Mail. It’s this: there is no separate service for Priority Mail. Give that a moment to sink in.

Remember when the clerk told you that if you sent your parcel Priority Mail instead of First Class Mail, it would arrive in 2 to 3 days? That delivery time is an estimate, not a guarantee. Because (it’s worth saying again) there is no separate service for Priority Mail. Shocking? You bet.

For packages over 13 ounces that do not contain media such as books, CDs, or 8-track tapes (for which you would be an idiot not to use Media Mail (1 pound for only $2.38!)), Priority Mail, though a ripoff, is your best rate. But First Class Mail is always your best rate for packages under 13 ounces.

Say you want to mail me your unused prəscription pain killərs. Thank you. Let's compare the rates for an 8 ounce package:

Priority Mail: $4.95
First Class Mail Package: $2.41

That’s $2.54 more you’re paying for nothing. As you can see, Priority Mail is a huge scam.

More than ever, it is important to be vigilant. Remember, The Man is always trying to keep you down, for example by not advertising far less costly options such as First Class Mail. Further, The Man wants to make you fearful, for example by telling you that Media Mail can take up to 21 days (ridiculous!). Lastly, The Man wants you to conform, for example by placing free Priority Mail envelopes and boxes in convenient locations throughout the post office.

Don't fall for it. Break free from their ideas about how you should mail! Know your rates and choose what's best for you!

Note: Here at OPE, I have a small postal scale and a collection of stamps in various denominations (available from USPS.com) so I can frank all my mail easily at home. FYI: Packages under 13 ounces can be mailed from your neighborhood drop box.

12 Comments:

Blogger tut-tut said...

sage advice, Kurt

11:55 AM  
Blogger Perpetual Chocoholic said...

American postal rates matter to Americans.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Kurt said...

So much!

1:49 PM  
Blogger tony said...

You Have Made It Snow In Englandshire........

2:58 PM  
Blogger Don, American Idle said...

I thought "The Man" was a drugged up hippie invention.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I hate The Man. Tricky bastard.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Perpetual Chocoholic said...

I miss Todd.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous tut-tut said...

Kurt, you have no idea how hard it is to start to write on my blog. but nice to know (nice? well, you know what I mean) that I'm not alone.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So drunk...
Mmm.

Doesnt matter

4:19 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Gotcha.

9:55 PM  
Anonymous MC said...

I feel really informed! That scale sounds cool.

I need to write it all down.

3:43 PM  
Blogger tony said...

I'm Back From Where I was to where I am now! I hope all's well with you Kurt.

4:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home